Monday, December 1, 2008

Birthing Class/Diabetic for a Day

Wow, so I'm really behind again. We actually took our birthing class a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to post about it, but you know.....
Jim wasn't too excited about doing it - didn't want to spend his whole Saturday at the hospital listening to some nurse talking about child birth. But....he knew it was important to me, so he endured. He made it through by "taking naps" during the videos in order to avoid looking at other ladies hoo-hah's.
It was quite informative and helped me make my decision to have the baby at a birthing center, rather than the hospital. The biggest difference between the two is that at the birthing center, you don't have the option for drugs. If you decide you want them once you have checked in, then you have to pack up and head across the street to the hospital. Also, you have your own "master suite" there and they are beautiful. You get your own jacuzzi tub (to labor in, not deliver in...unless you want to,) a personal nurse, your doctor, a kitchen, etc. It's almost like being at home. So, as long as the rest of the pregnancy goes well, I'll be doing it at the birthing center!

As for being "Diabetic for a Day." I had my one hour glucose test two Thursdays ago, but then got the call on Monday that I was three points above what I was supposed to be, so they had set me up for the three hour glucose test the next morning at 8:00. At this point I was freiking out thinking I was going to be diabetic for the rest of my pregnancy, and would have to change my eating habits, and maybe take insulin, etc...It was not a good evening for me, to say the least. I had to fast - which is not fun when you are NOT pregnant, but even more fun when you ARE pregnant! If any of you have had the test, you know it involves a lot of blood being sucked out of your body. In three and half hours, I got stuck five different times. Good think I don't mind needles!
Luckily - my test results came back good, and I am happy to say that I was only diabetic for a day - or so I thought!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the birthing center sounds very interesting. something I would like to look into someday for another baby. Go you for goin with no option for drugs :)

Barney Blah...g said...

That was a very informative blog Katie, I don't know about the drugs, you may wish otherwise, but the birthing center sounds cool. I'm glad Jim was taking well timed naps! HA

kim said...

katie Who knew you hade been through all that! I am all over the giving lots of blood in a short period of time...both of my amrs got pretty pricked during my recent hospital stays...probably NOT one of my top 100 things to do! Love you!

Ashlee said...

Thats not fun! stuck 5 times, I'm glad you survived.

Rae Jean said...

What a fun experience! The classes are always so interesting and informative. I'm surprised that you are doing it without drugs! Good luck there...no matter how nice the room is...I want my epidural! Honestly though, good luck as you try to do it that way. If it is what you want, then I hope that you can make it through without drugs.

Anonymous said...

When it comes to labor pains drugs really can be your best friend. You might want to keep them really close or you might just be taking that walk across the street!!!
That sugar test, oh my, I took it too.It was around the holidays and I actually went into the doctor's office eating a piece of candy,not a good idea. My sugar was sky high, go figure. I put in my hours for the test and tons of blood later it hit me....duh.
Good luck to you, you must be very brave.