Monday, September 15, 2008
Day 3 - Grapes, Hippies, and Redwoods!
Today we didn't have much of a plan, just knew we were headed North, probably to see the redwoods. On the way up the freeway we so so many MORE grapes. Jim just couldn't get over it. It was quite amazing.
Our first planned stop was in a town called Willits. We thought this was where the big tree that you could drive thru was, but that was wrong. So, I found out there was a museum we could at least go to, but it was closed on Mondays! So, we took some pictures and then walked around downtown for awhile. One thing we saw a lot of was hippies. We thought maybe this was one of those hippie friendly towns, and Jim could not stand it, so we got out of there.
On our way up the road, we kept seeing hippies everywhere. I saw a guy with dread-locks past his butt...never seen them that long before! A little further up the road, it got even better.....we turned the corner, and saw hundreds of hippie camps. Come to find out, there was some big Earthdance festival over the weekend, and the area was seriously crawling with the smelly folk. At least the solved the mystery of why there was hippies everywhere :)
A little further up the road, we found the correct town with the drive-thru redwood tree, Leggett. That was fun, we drove our car through the tree, visited with some other folks from Idaho, bought a few souvenirs, and then headed for the coast.
What came next was one heck of a tree covered, curvy, never-ending road. It was pretty, but driving it just about made Jim car sick! We were glad when it ended.
Lur next stop was Fort Bragg. That was kind of a cute old town. We found some good ice cream, and some great cookies there! By then, we were ready to head home. The ride home seemed like forever, but we finally made it.
Made some dinner, and made plans for tomorrows big adventure....San Francisco! We're planning on using public transportation, I'll let you know how that goes :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
First off i have to say,.. I DO want a puppy.. tucker just shook his head like i was a 5 year old. I tried.
secondly, I think the baby will beeeee a girl!! I'm trustin the chinese on this!
thirdly, what a fun trip! tucker and i are surely jealous!
Katie - it's probably too late, but I hope you got a chance to go to Muir Woods. It's my favorite place in the San Francisco area. Love. It. Just. Love. It.
BTW, I vote GIRL.
HI Sister!What a fun trip you two are having! Or should I say you three are having! Guess the "Hippies" and the grapes are making it exciting! Have a great time and we will be anxious to hear all about it Monday night at the park!
This is such a fun idea. I'd love to go on a trip like this, with no definate plans. I wonder if Don could handle that?!? I'll be interested to read about San Francisco. I love it there! Be safe!
P.S. I just wanted to say, you would be trading in the hippies for the gays...hhhmmm...2 big confusing topics to me. I'm not sure what I would think of it all, and I don't think that the Lord knows either. Well, we all have our free agency, right?!? It would be interesting to see it all and hear Jim's perspective on it! What a vacation you are having!
Post a Comment